The aged parents or injured members of the family and friends usually go through a hard time in mobility. If the condition is not worse to need an assistance of a wheelchair, then a four wheeled walker would make a perfect solution for them. A few decades ago, these devices did not offer much help apart from support. In fact, the aged suffered as they tried to lift them up in every step. However, today, the devices have undergone a great revolution including the provision of better walkways everywhere we go. So, how do they help the aged and the injured in their mobility?
How the best four-wheeled walker should look like
- Rollers – The four-wheeled walkers are also called the rollators, and their four wheels help users to avoid lifting. The users may not have too much strength to lift, and therefore, smooth and durable rollers are recommended.
- Ergonomics handles and breaks – Bar or handles should offer enough support to the aged. The best devices allow adjustments to suit the height of different users. The break should be working perfectly and provide better controls especially when they want to halt or get support.
- A seat – today, we see many rollators with a seat for use while the users want to rest. The outdoor use can be tough especially if the terrain is rough or steep. Therefore, the injured or the aged can use the seat to rest after locking the device to avoid rolling.
Health benefits of using a four-wheeled walker
Since their introduction, the four-wheeled walkers have gained a lot of popularity due to the numerous health benefits they bring. Some of the benefits they bring include the following;
- Support to the spine – the aged usually start bending forward because their spine is weak. However, this device offers the support they need for the spine and thus, avoid bending forward. With adjustable handles, the device can be set to make sure the users remain in an upright position while using them.
- Support to the joints – whether the user is an aged person or has an injury, the joints seems to be affected most. The use of a rollator ensures that all joins get enough support through the elimination of lifting and provision of a seat to rest. The smooth rollers also make sure that there is no strain anywhere.
Why are four-wheeled walkers considered essential?
Whether the user is based at home or outdoors, the four-wheeled walker is considered an essential device to support mobility. Both the aged and the injured can rely on the device through close supervision to stay independent. They can assist themselves to the bathroom, elevators and event take a short walk outdoors. Underneath the resting chair, the devices usually hold a carrier box for a few of their items like a mobile phone or a pulse.
Finally, it is worth mentioning that any aged person must have a four-wheeled walker to be their complete care in supporting their health. The above highlights is a clear indication that they are indeed very helpful.